![]() |
| Photo Credit: Robert Loerzel |
Latest updates to the 2027 Chicago Mayor's race!
Susana Mendoza on the Record
Illinois Comptroller Susana Mendoza sat down last week for a longer conversation on Anthony Scaramucci’s Open Book podcast titled Chicago Is at a Breaking Point (But She Says She Can Fix It).
Watch the conversation here: [VIDEO]
In the roughly 27-minute interview, Mendoza talks about growing up in Little Village as the daughter of Mexican immigrants, the violence that pushed her family out of the neighborhood, and why she believes Chicago is at a breaking point on safety, affordability, and confidence in City Hall. She argues the city cannot afford another term of what she calls failed leadership and says she is willing to risk her political career because, in her words, she is “afraid to lose my city.”
She frames her campaign around competence and results — her record as a legislator, city clerk, and state comptroller who helped clear a massive bill backlog and improve the state’s credit standing — and contrasts that with what she sees as a city that has moved too far left and lost its way on public safety and fiscal discipline.The interview is one of the more personal looks Mendoza has given so far in this race. We will keep tracking her comments and those of the rest of the field as they relate to 9th Ward and South Side issues.
Willie Wilson Enters
Businessman and philanthropist Willie Wilson formally launched his fourth campaign for Chicago mayor on August 10 at a packed storefront at 2948 W. Madison St. in East Garfield Park. Wilson, known for community giveaways of gas and groceries and previous runs in 2015, 2019, and 2023, is positioning himself as an independent voice focused on public safety, lowering costs, and serving neighborhoods that feel left behind. He told supporters City Hall “could use more common sense.”
Willie Wilson speaks with CBS Chicago on August 6th, 2025: [VIDEO]
Additional coverage:
Liam Stanton Withdraws
Rogers Park businessman and first-time candidate Liam Stanton officially withdrew from the 2027 Chicago mayoral race this morning. In a statement, Stanton said he entered the race to push for growth, support for small businesses and families, and greater accountability at City Hall. He is now endorsing Illinois Secretary of State Alexi Giannoulias, calling him “the candidate best positioned to unite and lead Chicago.”
Stanton’s exit removes one of the earlier entrants from the field and adds an early endorsement behind Giannoulias.
Updated Declared Field (Major Candidates)
- Joe Holberg
- Susana Mendoza
- George Cardenas
- Matt Brewer
- Mike Quigley
- Alexi Giannoulias
- Willie Wilson (new)
Liam Stanton is no longer a candidate. Mayor Brandon Johnson still has not formally declared.
This blog will continue tracking announcements, withdrawals, and new developments as the field evolves, with particular attention to how these shifts affect the 9th Ward and the South Side.

No comments:
Post a Comment